Sunday 10 July 2011

The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo by Stieg Larsson

If asked to describe this book in one word, I would undoubtedly say "Addictive!".

Got the whole Millennium trilogy at MPH Bookstores a couple of days ago. I was apprehensive at first when I learned that the book was written by a Swedish author. I didn't even know the country had any good writers, and the only Swedish thing I know is IKEA and their scrumptious meatballs. yummy. Which reminds me, I'm hungry.. ughh

Anyway, it turned out my fears were unfounded. The story wasn't just good, it was practically un-putdownable, if you get what I mean. I couldn't stop reading, the plot was so intriguing every step of the way. Last night I stayed up to 4am before I realised the time and had to force myself to stop.

In a nutshell, the story is initially about the efforts of an investigative journalist to try and expose a crooked mafia financier. But along the way the plot turns elsewhere, where the main character is hired to write an autobiography of a retired industrialist and also to investigate a 40 year old mystery. With the help of an intelligent but socially-challenged woman, he uncovers a family history like no other, involving sexual abuse, deceit, estranged family ties and murder.

Can't wait to start on the second book, "The Girl Who Played With Fire". Need to remind myself to go slower this time around. ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment