Wednesday 25 May 2011

Words Are All I Have

Wordplay. A powerful tool for essays at school and university level, for reports at the workplace, even for everyday conversation, be it English or Malay.
Improvement of one's vocabulary isn't so hard compared to the days of our grandfathers, where Internet and computers didn't exist and books weren't easily available to public. And yet, we see a decline in word power of our younger generation. I remember a former teacher of mine saying to me that our batch were more exciting and creative in our writing compared to her students now. Proud moment aside, a question does come to mind: why? Alas, that's not my job. I'll help here and there whenever I can, but I'm no language teacher.

Take this for example. I remember a friend once said this sentence to our group while we were hanging out: "Panasnya. Habis peluh-peluh jantanku menitis". Tell me, who would say such things nowadays? And a girl at that? Certainly impossible to hear, don't you agree? If you DO disagree, please tell. I would love to know of other younger people actually having a strong grasp of vocabulary and poetic expressions. I would like to be proven wrong on this one.

If you're wondering why my first post is "lecturing" on words, it's due to recent developments in my social circle (And to you guys n gals that know what I'm talking about, x payah nak bangga keyh. haha). Hanging out with them I see a whole new level of the "wow" factor when i hear them speak. Kind of made me feel a bit small because it made me realise how much I needed to improve as well. It's never too late to change.

Until next time...

p/s: My next posts will be a mix of English, Malay, informal Malay and the occasional emoticons, Arab and Mandarin. If you don't understand, sorreyh XD

4 comments:

  1. oho.. I'm wondering..

    and I dont want to assume.. therefore, clarify please will you? who are these people?
    ^^

    and the "wow" factor.. I want to be in that situation too~

    the last time I "wow-ed" at someone was when I spoke with someone a few months ago.. ^^

    ReplyDelete
  2. whatever ya assumption was, maybe it was right. they are my former roommate's girlfriend's circle of friends :)
    wow. so long ago ah.. sorreyh, wait til you dah kerja maybe nanti ada. kat sini tiada, harapmaaf. hihi

    ReplyDelete
  3. oho.. that so? ^^

    well, thank you then..
    XD

    ReplyDelete
  4. yes, that is so :)
    and thank you for the company

    ReplyDelete